Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some frequent questions our Physio’s etc often get asked regarding pain, techniques and rehabilitation.

Will my treatment hurt?

If you have any injury or problem already, you may feel some discomfort during your treatment due to the nature of your particular circumstances. However, you should not be in too much pain. Your therapist will always be guided by you and if you are in too much pain, please tell them (they’ll probably be able to tell though) and they’ll look to trying a different technique which isn’t as painful.


I’m considering Acupuncture – but I’m terrified of needles! Will they hurt?

This is a common concern and quite understandably. The needles are very fine and should not hurt. In our experience, our patients are surprised that they didn’t even feel some of the needles go in! Please see some of our photographs to see the actual size of the needles and look out for our online demo so that you can see for yourself. You may feel some tingling once the needles go in, but this isn’t usually painful. Once again, we are led by your needs and if for any reason you do not wish to continue, please tell your therapist.


How many treatment sessions will I need?

This will really depend on each individual and the diagnosis of your condition.  It could also depend on how long you have been suffering with your particular problem. Generally speaking, the quicker you seek advice and commence your treatment, the shorter the course required.  The more chronic your condition, the more sessions you will need.  Your therapist will give you a guide on roughly how many sessions they think you will need.  It must be noted though that everybody responds to treatment differently and where appropriate, you'll also be given personal exercise programmes to help you self-treat at home to cut down on the costs involved in private treatment.


I have back and shoulder pain – should I have Physiotherapy or Chiropractic treatment? What is the difference between Physiotherapy and Chiropractic?

It really is up to you which treatment you opt for. Both Physiotherapists and Chiropractors are both trained to deal with back and shoulder pain, but tend to use different techniques to do so.

Physiotherapy is by far the most dominant profession in comparison to Chiropractic treatment. Chiropractors tend to focus on aligning the spine and use short, high velocity thrusts/techniques. They do treat other areas of the body but their primary focus is the spine and back problems. Physiotherapists concentrate on reducing pain and restoring normal movement/function. There is a lot of cross-over between the two therapies but we only provide Physiotherapy services.


I am in pain and can hardly walk – what shall I do?

You can seek advice from your GP or you can self-refer to us. If this is an acute flare-up, we tend to advise that you wait for up to 48 hours to allow your symptoms to settle down in order for you to get the most out of your treatment and obtain value for money. You could also consider taking paracetamol or anti-inflammatory tablets to ease your pain but you must obviously seek advice on this from your pharmacist.


My back has "gone" – should I rest up in bed?

Although you should take things easy for a couple of days, advice for most low back problems is to keep moving. So in a word, no, this is not a good excuse for a week in bed, or to get out of the house work! If you stop moving, you may seize up a little and end up in more pain. We’re not saying that you should be doing marathons and if you are in pain, you obviously need to take it easy but bed rest is definitely not a good idea, especially after a couple of days have past. Ideally, take things easy for 48 hours, then start to increase your exercise up to normal level over the next few days.

An appointment with a Physiotherapist will help you to establish the best way to tackle your back problem, how you can reduce your pain and prevent another occurrence of it in the future.


What is the difference between a physiotherapist and a sports therapist?

A physiotherapist is an allied health care professional who will have undertaken an arduous course of training to achieve their protected, state registered title. Additionally, they may have undertaken post-graduate study in a specialist area, such as sports medicine. A sports therapist is essentially a complementary therapist. Sports therapists are typically expected to assess and recognise common injury problems, to provide remedial exercise programmes and treatments for both athletes and the general public, and to confer effectively with other health care practitioners, when required to do so.


What is the difference between sports massage and remedial massage?

Sports massage is the systematic manual manipulation of the soft-tissues, designed to produce specific responses in the athlete and improve their performance. Sports massage is used in training, preparation, recovery and injury management. Remedial massage is a closely related physical therapy method that incorporates a selection of well-documented manual techniques which have been developed to improve certain ailments or conditions, and in particular musculoskeletal problems. A sports therapist will be able to call upon a variety of sports and remedial massage techniques when working to improve function and performance, injuries, postural problems, restrictions and other conditions.


What should I do if I injure myself?

For a mild sprain or other minor muscle or ligament damage, you can treat it at first using RICE therapy. The quicker you do this the quicker the healing process will be: RICE stands for:

  • Rest: avoid using the part of the body that is injured.
  • Ice: apply an ice pack to the affected area for 10 to 20 minutes. Do not allow the ice to touch your skin directly as this may cause anice burn. Before applying ice, wrap it in a damp towel or put a towel over the injured area. Ideally the skin should stay pail. If it goes red you may have had the ice on too long or allowed the ice to touch the skin for a prolonged period of time. If possible you should do this every 2 hours.
  • Compression: apply pressure (compression) using elastic compression bandages. This may help to limit swelling.
  • Elevation: keep the injured leg, knee, arm, elbow or wrist raised above the level of the heart as this may also help reduce swelling. Do not elevate and compress at the same time.

After 48 hours of RICE therapy, stop compression and try moving the injured area. It is also a good idea to seek professional advice for the best exercises to get you back to fitness as soon as possible.



Why is good flexibility important?

Good flexibility is important to help prevent muscle pulls and strains, and also help keep our joints mobile to allow a good range of movement. In simple terms, when thinking of joint movements... ‘use it – or lose it’


Why do I ache for days after exercise?

Delayed onset muscle soreness [DOMS] is the existence of aching and soreness that develops after exercise. It usually lasts for around 2 days, and is caused when we do more activity than usual, or do a different activity to normal. Stretching after activity can help to reduce the discomfort.


Do I need a GP referral?

No. You may self-refer to us / our clinicians. You will receive a comprehensive consultation where the clinician will take your full medical history to enable them to assess your needs. If you are in a private medical insurance policy or policy such as Westfield or HSA, you may need to see your GP first in order to satisfy the terms and conditions of your policy. Please consult with them prior to commencing treatment.


Do I need to bring anything with me?

If you have a lower limb problem, you may wish to bring some shorts to enable the therapist to assess you without the need to undress. If you have an upper body problem and you are female, it may also be advisable to wear a vest top with thin/spaghetti straps or sports bra. (We do have gowns and towels to preserve your modesty and there is a changing cubicle in each room should you need these). Of course, you may also bring a friend or family member to your appointment too.  From a practical point of view, you should bring your glasses if you need them to read as you will need to fill in a medical consent form.  If you are on any medication, please bring a list of these with you.


Do you have free parking facilities?

Yes – directly in front of the practice. It would be helpful if you could park considerately to ensure that as many cars as possible can park. Please be careful when arriving and leaving as you are driving on and off a very busy dual carriageway. When all car spaces are taken there is plenty of free parking on the surrounding roads.  Our neighbour also has a very small lip that separates our drives so please stick to parking on our driveway as we don't want you damaging your car.


Are you registered with my insurance company?

We are registered with companies such as BUPA, Aviva, AXA PPP, Standard Life, BCWA and also Westfield Health. If you are insured with a smaller company which we are not registered with, leave it with us and we’ll do the work to try and get registered. It is usually a simple phone-call and a quick email attaching all relevant certificates.


What do I need to do to claim from my insurance company?

You will need to contact them to see if you are covered, and if so, if you have any limits or excesses to pay. They will inform you whether or not you can claim. They will usually give you a pre-authorisation claim number which you’ll need to pass onto us, along with your personal details and your policy number/membership number. We will then contact them to establish whether or not we can proceed with your treatment? Unfortunately, there have been a handful of occasions when we have been led to believe that an insurance company will pay for treatment. We therefore, must advise that where an insurance company does not pay for the treatment, the patient is always liable for the cost of their treatment and we reserve the right to take credit or debit card details in advance to secure payment (rather like hotels do).


Do I have to pay for my treatment if I am covered with my insurance?

This will depend on your insurance company’s arrangements with us. Companies such as BUPA, AXA PPP Healthcare, Aviva etc have direct billing arrangements with us. We will therefore, keep a record of your treatments and invoice them directly for payment. Policies such as Westfield Health require you to pay us directly. We will then provide you with a valid receipt for you to send in and claim your costs back from them directly.  We do also reserve the right to take credit or debit card details as security should your insurance company decline your claim.


What if I am not covered?

You can choose to either self-fund your treatment privately, or you can visit your GP and see if you can get an NHS referral.


Are your therapists registered?

Yes. You can be assured that all of our therapists are registered with the relevant regulatory body or professional association. You can also do your own online checks. You can check our therapists out at the Health and Care Professions Council and Chartered Society of Physiotherapists, .


Do you accept switch/debit cards or cheques?

We accept credit and debit cards (not American Express) and from 4/7/18 we no longer accept cheques as our local bank branches have closed down and they are expensive to process now.


Do you offer home visits?

Unfortunately not.   Our equipment is all based in clinic and this is where our treatments are safest.  There are a number of mobile providers in Sheffield though so we would recommend using someone that is geared up for this service.


I missed my appointment, will I be charged?

We do reserve the right to charge for any appointments that are missed or cancelled without giving 24 hours notice.